Tuesday, November 08, 2005

On Being An A**hole

(Homewood Administration should refer to the book on contents and analysis to which I directed them in 1999 explaining my protagonists "special" training.)

One day, a year or so ago, a man whom I will call "Rusty" was sitting in Capistrano's Restaurant in the town square listening to all the usual community assessments. "Rusty" had been aware of all this going on around me and the denial of it for many years. Having had some personal experience with this sort of thing himself, he couldn't stand another minute of it, so, he stood up and yelled at the patrons as a group: "You are all a**holes!"

Naturally, the patrons and the owners were all aghast at such an unseemly outburst right in the middle of their community ridiculing session. Surely "Rusty" could have no reason for doing such a thing. "Rusty" apparently then got up and stormed out in a huff and the owners called the police after someone pointed out the frustrated "Rusty" must be having an attack of mental illness. After all, who BUT the mentally ill would be angry for a reason that no one else could see?

When I heard this story, I thought to myself, (without moving my lips of course) how amazing it was that this "Rusty" came up with such an accurate assessment even though he himself had never actually had the nurse's "special" training. He already understood the point of it and had stated it quite succinctly too. Perhaps, I thought, we should have "Rusty" explain the main principle to the nurse who had started to teach it all to us in the first place?? Then again, like me, I don't suppose "Rusty" is "allowed" to confront anyone nor speak publicly either.

Perhaps "Rusty" could join me in learning the social skills practiced by the "normal" people. Though blurting out the truth in anger and frustration is NOT allowed, mocking and ridiculing with lots of contempt and derision has no limits, as long as one is smiling and amused while doing it. Apparently, the targets of such group behaviour cannot be angry if it is only a "joke" or all said to be in "good fun."

As was said to me by psychiatry in 99, It was not WHAT I was saying that was the problem but, the WAY I was saying it. Now I am learning to say it in more "normal" ways like those who have modelled it so well all of these years for me. Our problem "Rusty" you see, is one of style, not content. I myself am becoming more stylish, and therefore more "normal" all the time. See? Even us dangerous and hopeless nuts can learn these new socialization skills.

No comments:

Followers