Monday, September 11, 2006

Communication Lesson

You can’t just say it’s a societal problem as many of you are doing now, and assume that is going to be understood by all in the same way, since ‘society’ as a whole, hears that in terms of split MEANING.
One hears it and says, “yes, and that is why ‘we’ have got to get ‘them’ under complete control!’
The other side agrees with the statement but says, ‘yes, and that is why we have got to fix this sick society!’ It is to help ‘them.’


As in all of this, what gets defined as ‘help’ depends upon your point of view.
There is a man who is psychiatrized locally (and not just him) who is in very bad shape right now, today, as I write this. He looks very very sick, sicker now than I have ever seen him. I am sure he is now getting the drugs pumped into him by the new A.C.T team, no doubt defined as for his own good. I would bet I could even name his psychiatrist, although now, there are many of them all enthusiastically promoting the forced drugging.


I think if you asked him, he would tell you how horrible he feels, maybe even feels like he is dying. But, do you know what the system does with such complaints as a rule? It blames the patient for complaining about how sick he feels, usually along with the customary expression of contempt about how we are all ‘whining and complaining', just to ‘seek attention/fame."

He is trapped and his ‘treatment may very well kill him and there is nothing he, or anyone else, can do about it because psychiatry is amassing more and more power and control all the time. It is a horrifying postition to be in but talking doesn't do any good. In fact, it often makes it worse which is why so many people start refusing to talk at all. It's safer to be quiet as we are being pushed to do.

If ‘we’ have any hope at all of communicating with these people, (the mental health profession in general) we are going to have to explain every single vaguely abstract expression by connecting each one to specific concrete meaning as well. Otherwise, everyone simply projects their own beliefs about what it means into the statement, defining the “it’ of the moment in their own terms.

I am telling the labeled people the same thing. They are going to have to spell it all out, in pedantic detail, when talking to the ‘normal’ sleepwalkers.’

In psychosis I knew that I was "the bridge.”

(not a concrete bridge, a conceptual bridge, between two sides of severe, severe miscommunication, them and us, abstract and concrete, right and left hemisphere.

Nobody has a clue about what is really going on, but those who understand it the least always seem to believe they understand it the best.

No comments:

Followers